6.07.2015

F SCOTT FITZGERALD , " The Great Gatsby" , 1926.




THE GREAT GATSBY AND WORLD WAR I :

"I graduated from New Haven in 1915, just a quarter of a century after my father, and a little later I participated in that delayed Teutonic migration known as the Great War" (p.3)
"I live at West Egg. Really ? I was down there at a party about a month ago. At a man named Gatsby's. Do you know him ? I live next door to him. Well, they say he is a nephew or a cousin of Kaiser Wilhelm's. That's where all his money comes from" (p.34).
Gatsby is a bootlegger, said the young ladies, moving somewhere between his cocktails and his flowers. One time he killed a man who had found out that he was nephew to Von Hindenburg and second cousin to the devil" (p64).




THE GREAT GATSBY AND EL GRECO :
"I see it as a night scene by El Greco : an hundred houses, at once conventional and grotesque, crouching under a sullen, overhanging sky and a lustreless moon" (p.187)