8.19.2015

SIMON SCHAMA "The Story of the Jews"






New English Bible , JOHN 8,28-59
 
 
 
This part of the New Testament is a torrent of abuse between Jesus and the Jews, and according to Simon Schama "the lowest point" in the New Testament :
 
"...The Jews replied : We are Abraham's descendants, we have never been in slavery to any man. Jesus said : I  know that you are descended from Abraham, but you are bent on killing me because my teaching makes no headway with you. The Jews retorted : Abraham is our father. Jesus replied: If you were Abraham's children, you would do as Abraham did. As it is, you are bent on killing me, a man who told you the truth, as I heard it from God. That is not how Abraham acted. You are doing your own father's work. The Jews said : We are not base-born; God is our father, and God alone. Jesus said : If God were your father , you would love me, for God is the source of my being, ond from him I come.
Jesus said : Your father is the devil and you choose to carry out your father's desires He was a murderer  from the beginning and is not rooted in the truth. You are not God's children; that is why you do not listen.
The Jews answered : Are we not right in saying that you are a Samaritan and that you are possessed. I am not possessed, said Jesus. I am honouring my Father, but you dishonour me.
The Jews said : Now we are certain that you are possessed. You are not yet fifty years old. How can you have seen Abraham ? Jesus said : in, very truth I tell you, before Abraham was born, I am.
They picked up stones to throw at him; but Jesus was not to be seen. And he left the temple" (JOHN, 8,27-59).